How to Get Rid of a Double Chin – Causes, and Treatments
In the beauty and cosmetic industry, one of the factors that patients are concerned with regards a double chin. It impacts the jawline and fullness of the face, creating an impression that you are bigger or fatter than you are. Even though a double chin is predominant among overweight and obese people, it is not always the care.
What Is a Double Chin?
It is a term that refers to submental fat, describing the presence of excess fatty tissue in the chin area. The fatty deposits settle under the jaw, significantly enough to be noticeable. Double chins can occur on any person regardless of gender or age. A double chin is not in itself harmful to your health. However, the surrounding factors to getting a double chin can threaten your general body health.
What Causes Double Chin?
If being overweight is not the only reason you can have a double chin, one may wonder what other factors can cause it. They include the following:
- Genetics – if other family members have a double chin, you have a high probability of getting it.
- Age – although young people can have a double chin, aging increases its likelihood. At a medical spa in Glendale, CA, many patients over 50 years have double chins. The reason is that aging comes with lower collagen levels and thinner and weaker skin elastin.
- Poor posture – did you know that your posture can cause a double chin? It happens due to the under-use of chin and neck muscles over a long period. It results in decreased skin elasticity, allowing for a double chin and a weaker jawline.
- Diet – eating foods with high calories may result in a build-up of unhealthy fats in your body. Other than influencing your weight, your food choices can foster double chin development.
Different Solutions for Getting Rid of a Double Chin
The good news is that you are not the first or last person to have a double chin. As such, rest on the fact that treatments and solutions for skincare in Glendale, CA, can help get rid of a double chin. Some of the approaches you can try are:
- Cosmetic treatments – the only way to achieve drastic results about your double chin is through cosmetic procedures. Some of the treatments we offer at Dr. Marta Recasens’ MediSpa include:
- Liposculpture or lipolysis – uses liposuction or heat from lasers to sculpt your chin and remove excess fat tissue from your skin.
- Mesotherapy – entails an injection with fat-dissolving compounds that will help your body absorb fats in your chin area.
- Kybella – is an injectable drug that must be injected into the fat tissue in your chin severally to get rid of the excess fat deposits.
- Face masks – can tighten the facial skin and reduce the appearance of a double chin.
- Losing weight – if weight gain is the underlying cause of your double chin, work on losing a few pounds, and it will reflect on the appearance of your face.
- Healthy food choices – although you may not always enjoy healthy foods, they are the best way to ensure you absorb fats healthily, which will ultimately favor your aesthetic appearance.
- Drink your water – other than watching what you eat, keep your body hydrated. Water helps rid toxins from your body, including fat. Other than drinking water, consider eating water-rich foods like cucumbers and watermelons.
- Exercises – physicians have come up with a couple of exercises that can help burn calories in your chin. They include:
- Ball squeeze – involves placing a ball under your chin and squeezing it against your neck as hard as you can.
- Kiss the sky – you have to look up as if kissing the sky, then pucker your lips.
- Rotate the head – gently turn your head around.
When getting rid of your double chin, prioritize your health. As much as you need to improve your aesthetic appearance, ensure that you are not making decisions that undermine your health. Whether you opt for surgery, injections, or lifestyle adjustments, involve an experienced and certified practitioner to help you through your treatment.